The Diocesan Office of Child & Youth Protection (OCYP) is committed to keeping our children safe by implementing safe environment standards for all of its parishes & Catholic schools. Whether you are an EMPLOYEE for St. Andrew's Parish or a VOLUNTEER in any parish or school youth program, you are required to complete the following three measures to protect our youth:
1. VIRTUS TRAINING (Protecting God’s Children)
The word “virtus” derives from Latin, and means valor, moral strength, excellence, and worth. Virtus was a program created by the National Catholic Risk Retention Group, Inc. This training is conducted by Virtus certified facilitators on the prevention of child sexual abuse. The training makes participants aware of the signs of child sexual abuse, the methods and means by which offenders commit abuse, and five easy steps one can use to prevent abuse. The facilitators incorporate policies and procedures into the training defining abuse, addressing the reporting of abuse, the screening and selection of employees and volunteers, and victim advocacy.
: This is a one-time class, and it lasts about 2.5 - 3 hours.
* St. Andrew's Classes:
2016 Class Dates:
Jun. 21st, Aug. 9th, Sept. 13th, Nov. 8th
2017 Class Dates:
Jan. 10th, Mar. 14th
register through the parish office. PRE-REGISTRATION online is required by visiting:
If you are unable to attend a class at St. Andrew's, please visit the above-mentioned registration link, click on “View a List of Sessions,” and select the organization “Kansas City-St. Joseph, MO Diocese” out of the scroll bar to see the upcoming classes in the local area.
: usually either St. Andrew's Parish Hall or School Library
2. BACKGROUND CHECK SCREENING
Every employee and volunteer
must complete a background check before interacting with youth. Even if you are a
parent or family member
who would like to attend a school field trip, or
who would like to help in a youth program, you must complete a background check beforehand through your Virtus account.
* Acceptable Screenings
: The diocese has a contract only with the ESR company to do background checks through your Virtus account online, so a background check from your non-parish place employment will not be accepted. As mandated by the diocese, new screenings are held every three years for employees and every five years for volunteers. You must complete one directly on yourself through your online Virtus account before working with youth.
3. ETHICS AND INTEGRITY IN MINISTRY (EIM) FORM
* Description: The EIM is new comprehensive code of ethics adopted by the diocese. This new document will guide all its members -- clergy, employees, and volunteers alike -- and help them to fulfill the obligations of ministry and service to God’s people. The EIM provides specific instructions for the reporting of suspected abuse or neglect of minors as required by Missouri law.
* Process: Every employee and volunteer must sign this form digitally stating that they have read the EIM Policy and agree to its terms. The EIM form can be digitally signed by logging on to your Virtus account at www.virtus.org. You must complete this form before working with youth. The EIM policy can be read here: https://kcsjcatholic.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/EIM-1.pdf
Each parish's Safe Environment Coordinator is able to view online who has or hasn't completed background checks, Virtus training, and EIM forms.
For any further questions, please contact St. Andrew's Safe Environment Coordinator Katie Overstreet at (816) 453-2089 ext. 5. Thank you.
For more info about the OCYP services, please visit their diocesan website at: